15 January 2008

Six reasons why being an executive is easier than getting punched in the face while you're asleep

Today was my last day of employment at a certain four-star hotel in southern Colorado (hopefully forever, but at least until summer), and I have to admit I'm pretty relieved. I was a bellman/valet for a good year and nine months, and I'm not sure how much longer I could've lasted. It's not that I didn't like the money; it's just that I can only stand being around stupid people for a short period of time before I start looking for sharp objects with which to maim them, and no one is stupider than rich, old, white people. I know, I know... I sound like some sort of FemiNazi or something, but it's the truth. If common sense were wealth, then these people would be living in refrigerator boxes and doling out sexual favors in exchange for cold leftovers and heroin.

The worst offenders are the guests taking classes at the Center for Creative Leadership, which is a local organization that draws CEOs from around the world and teaches them how to lead creatively, or whatever. One guy couldn't figure out how to open an unlocked van door from the inside. Another tried to give us his flight information so we could pick him up at the airport, but since the information included an airline that doesn't exist, we found it rather difficult to locate him. Yet another gave us the proper information for his departing flight out of Denver, and then promptly hopped a shuttle to the Colorado Springs Airport. Then there was the guy who gave us his information, waited at the airport twenty feet from our shuttle (which is clearly labeled on all sides with the name of the hotel) for an hour, and then hired a taxi to take him instead. Oh, and there was one guy who hopped on the shuttle and, upon arriving at the hotel (which is a good thirty minute drive away), informed the front desk attendants that he'd left his luggage at the airport.

These aren't your average Joes, either. I can't go into details, but most of these people are high-ranking executives at major international conglomerates and multi-billion dollar companies. Clearly, these individuals are no smarter than myself, and in fact, many of them are dumber than a sack of wrenches, but somehow they've managed to reach the upper echelons of business. How is this possible? I think I've stumbled upon a few reasons:

1) Business classes are easier than Britney Spears on coke. As someone who took several business classes early in his college career, I can attest to the fact that most business students would get migraines if they tried anything more intellectually taxing than wearing pants.

2) There will always be someone dumber than you at work, and all you have to do if you want to get ahead is just look a little better than that guy.

3) If you dress for success, use words like "utilize," "synergy," "memorandum," and "expense account," and trim your nails on a semi-regular basis, most people will simply assume you're management material (especially your manager, who got his job the same way).

4) If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times: Everyone will think you're better at your job than you really are if you wear glasses and shower at least a couple times a week.

5) It's easy to look competent when you blame your assistant and/or ethnic minorities for all your mistakes.

6) Being an executive is about as hard as beating Michael J. Fox in a standing still contest. (Too harsh? I have others: "... as beating Renee Zellweger in an acting contest." "... as beating Dennis Kucinich in a relevance contest." "... as beating Christopher Reeve in a moving-any-part-of-your-body contest.")

I used to be a business major, but then I realized my life would be more fulfilling if I lived in a pile of garbage.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting perspective you have here. I am not an executive nor do I ever want to be, and that, in part, due to people like yourself ever attentive and critical of every human foible. But mainly I don't want to be an executive because I couldn't keep up with all the travel from city to city, in and out of hotels and airports, dashing from meeting to training to meeting to presentation to meeting (and every now and then to the loo), all while being expected to read my emails in transit, answer mobile calls ANYWHERE and ANYTIME, prepare presentations on the plane, refine the strategic direction of a multi-million dollar line of business late at night when I'm STILL working or in the shuttle from the airport to the hotel, and having to depend on others to provide me my travel itinerary and any last-minute changes to it and book my reservations and hire me a car and give me directions to the hotel and harangue me for receipts and in general get way more knowledgeable and informed about way more aspects of my life than I really want. "We cut down the tall poppies" an Australian friend of mine told me and "The tallest trees catch the most wind" a South African friend shared. Seems to me you are the cutter and the wind, buddy. Thanks for reminding me why I'm happy to stay way down on the totem pole.

Anonymous said...

GM -

Is that you brother?